Satellite update as of noon, Saturday. Last night's showery front is kicking up rain (and lightning) in the Chicago area, potentially interfering with flights at O'Hare and Midway. A bubble of Canadian high pressure treats Minnesota to brilliant sunshine, a fresh breeze, low humidity, and temperatures close to average for late May.
Sunday will be a different story - a warm southwesterly wind (gusting to 30 mph) will lure temperatures well into the 80s, it will finally feel like summer out there again. But with the warmth, gusty winds and rising humidity levels will come a slight risk of severe storms. The SPC has most of central and southern Minnesota in a "slight risk" of severe storms. If you're heading out on the lake Sunday stay alert, tune in a local radio station, keep scanning the sky for towering thunderheads off on the western horizon, and be ready to head to shore in a hurry!
* Dry May for much of MN, especially southeastern and east central counties, potentially the driest since 1934. Third driest on record for many counties south/east of St. Cloud.
* Bright sun, northwest breeze (10-20 mph) and low humidity Saturday afternoon, winds ease up considerably by evening.
* Jacket weather tonight: lows dip into the 40s outside of town.
* Sunday: 10-15 degrees warmer, highs reach the 80s, winds gust past 30 mph.
* Slight severe storm risk central/southern Minnesota Sunday afternoon, isolated hail, even a stray tornado can't be ruled out.
* Rainfall amounts up to .10" Sunday night with the next cool frontal passage.
* Cooler start to the week Monday and Tuesday, temperatures run cooler than normal much of next week into the first weekend of June.
Today: Sunny, breezy and pleasant. Winds: NW 10-20. Winds subside a bit by evening. High: 74
Tonight: Clear and cool. Low: 48
Sunday: Windy and warm with fading sun. T-storms by late afternoon/evening may be strong to severe. Winds: S/SW 15-35. High: 86
Monday: Damp start, then partly sunny and breezy. High: near 70
Tuesday: Mix of clouds and sun, cooler than average. High: 68
Wednesday: Bright sun, less wind. High: 72
Thursday: Less sun, milder. High: 75
Friday: Slight chance of a passing shower. High: 73
Saturday: Plenty of sun, still trending cooler than average. High: 69
Sunday: Partly cloudy, odds favor dry weather much of the day. High: near 70