Fishing Opener Update: all week we'll we'll focus in and fine-tune the all-important prediction for Saturday, May 9, the Fishing Opener. Most of the Saturday looks dry right now, with increasing clouds during the day, a falling barometer [perfect for catching fish] a walleye "chop" on area lakes, and temperatures close to average, ranging from mid 50s north to mid 60s south by late afternoon. Heavier, steadier rain, even strong T-storms, are expected late Saturday into Sunday, there is even a slight chance of severe storms - especially over southern Minnesota - on Sunday.
* 64 degree high Saturday; PM clouds and sprinkles, along with a persistent, annoying northwest wind.
* Today looks much nicer as a bubble of high pressure drifts overhead. Expect more sun, fewer PM clouds, considerably less wind and temperatures a few degrees milder.
* Next round of showers/storms comes late Monday into Monday night.
* Monday highs top 70 degrees: a distractingly-nice way to start the work week.
* Rapid weather changes on tap the rest of the week (strong jet stream winds aloft make pinning down exact rainfall windows difficult to downright impossible).
* Nice to be "average." High temperatures within a few degrees of normal through next Saturday.
* Fishing Opener weather may leave something to be desired by Saturday night/Sunday: potential for heavy rain, even strong/severe T-storms over southern Minnesota, especially during the latter half of the weekend. The earlier you get out to your favorite lake Saturday, the better.
Paul's 15 Day Outlook
Today: Mostly sunny and beautiful. Less wind than Saturday. NW 10-15. High: 67
Tonight: Mostly clear and cool. Low: 46
Monday: Dim sun behind fading clouds, warming up. Showers, even a T-storm expected by Monday night. High: 73
Tuesday: Unsettled, drying out - partly sunny with an isolated shower. High: 69
Wednesday: Intervals of sunshine, not bad at all. High: 68
Thursday: Clouds increase, another shower, passing T-shower. High: 65
Friday: Partly cloudy and pleasant most of the day. High: 64
Saturday (Fishing Opener for walleye/northern): Fading sun, clouds increase, rain/storms late in the day and at night. High: 63
Sunday: Rain likely, potentially heavy. A few T-storms possible, especially south of the Twin Cities. High: 61
Monday: Showers taper, windy and cooler. High: 57
Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, a few showers late. High: 59
Wednesday: Mix of clouds and sun, isolated shower. High: near 60
Thursday: Some sun, cool for early May. High: 58
Friday: More sun, probably dry. High: 61
Saturday (May 16): Partly cloudy, warming up a bit. High: 65