(image captured from GR3 Doppler Radar software shortly before 6 pm showing hail producing "supercell" thunderstorms. The green triangles mark locations of 1-2" hail reports) The individual cells are moving east to northeast at 25-35 mph, moving away from the Twin Cities metro area.
* Severe storm watch posted for most of southeastern MN until 11 pm (does NOT include the metro area)
* Reports of 1-2" diameter hail from severe storms, isolated wind damage, even a tornado, can't be ruled out, especially over southwestern Wisconsin.
* 92 earlier today at Rochester, 38 Moorhead. Greatest storm risk appears to shift just south/east of the Twin Cities into the evening hours.
* Winds shift around to the north/northwest as cooler front arrives - main severe storm risk is over Wisconsin, Iowa and extreme southeastern MN later today - probably no hail/high winds for the immediate metro area.
* Eau Claire - Menomonie - Winona - Albert Lea line on east: greatest threat of severe weather.
* Red Flag Warning: very high threat of brush fires, due to dry, windy conditions; conditions should improve over the weekend as rain arrives, humidity rises.
* Saturday: nicer day of the weekend - cooler, but dry with some intervals of sunshine
* Sunday: next storm surges north with rain, over 1" may fall (strong T-storms into southern MN?)
* So long 80s - weekend temperatures in the 40s/50s. 60s return next week.
Friday: Unsettled, still mild. Scattered showers/T-storm, some strong to severe over far southeastern Minnesota and Wisconsin by evening. Winds: W 10-20. High: 73
Friday night: Wisconsin storms early, then gradual clearing. Low: 44
Saturday: Nicer day of the weekend, damp start, then intervals of sun - dry. Cooler. Winds: N/NW 10-20. High: 55
Sunday: Rain, possibly heavy at times (thunderstorms possible). High: 52
Monday: Lingering showers, still cool and damp. High: 58
Tuesday: Partly sunny, shower possible. High: 60
Wednesday: Lingering clouds, cool. High: 54
Thursday: Passing clouds and sun. High: 57
Friday: An unsettled sky, risk of pm thunder? High: near 65
Saturday (May 3). Warmer, partly sunny. High: 69
Sunday: Weather maps looking warmer, sunnier. High: Near 70
Monday: Afternoon thunder? High: mid 70's
Tuesday: Cooler, lingering showers. High: mid 60's
Wednesday: Soggy, showery, seasonably mild. High: Near 60